Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thanks to my family and friends.

Just wanted to take a moment, in reflection, and thank everyone who has played a role in my life and in our little family (i.e. Jayrod, Ambo and the Cherub). Eight years ago Ambo and I, for reasons unknown to us, decided to get married. (I think she felt sorry for the sappy kid who stumbled his way through a courtship and proposal, and decided the only responsible thing she could do was keep as close an eye on me as possible so as to prevent me from getting out of control!) I can honestly say that marrying her was the best decision I have made, and couldn't be more pleased with who Ambo is becoming and also who she is helping me to become.

But our story began long ago. We were blessed with the best sets of parents imaginable. Individuals who were parents. Companionship's who actively looked out for our best interests regardless of the fads, trends, and tides of the day. And who have each slipped seamlessly into the role of grandparent.

The other night I found myself walking down a dirt road, Sam asleep in my arms, after dark, with my Dad. As we walked he shared with me his feelings and some counsel concerning being a father and a dad. He spoke of his belief that the relationship between a child and his father is beyond measure in both value and importance. How many people have that kind of experience? Once we reached camp, our conversation continued as we looked at the stars. I have had this experience with my Dad many times over the years, and it never gets old.

I have had many similar conversations with my Mom as well, but these were usually held in our kitchen, front room, or her bedroom. One pivotal conversation occurred on pages lane as I accompanied her on a morning walk about nine years ago. Another occurred over the phone from a very unsure and frightened twenty year old, living away from home as he sat hunched over a computer at work. I will always remember her voice as she said, "Nobody messes with my kids, you are coming home!" Needless to say, shortly afterward I did pack up and come home. Not because she told me so, but because, as usual, she was right. The time had come for me to return home.

I have heard Ambo speak of her love for her parents, and many, many, similar experiences with her parents. As her husband I offer my deepest thanks to both of them for raising her, for protecting her, and for loving her. She is everything a man could ever want for a wife, and everything a child could ever want for a mom. And as such, she is perfect in my mind. I myself have had opportunity to listen to Clair and Patti, in similar experiences as my own parents, their words have only strengthened what I was taught growing up. I can only say Thank you.

As for the siblings: Clint and Tob have always set the example for me, even when they didn't think they were. I have followed in both of their tracks throughout the years in an effort to mimic their strengths and have grown accordingly. Being the elder bro/sis is hard and thankless work and so I thank you for your fearless tackling of age appropriate challenges thereby making the way clear when I reached them. Thank you for your examples.

Tim, Amy, and Angie are also among my closest friends. As being an elder sibling is hard work; it is also tremendously motivating to see those following behind you, and know of the challenges they face, you yourself having just battled them. Thank you for your good lives, your good desires, and the good choices you have made. Thank you for your examples, your support, and your love. We make a pretty good team, that is when we can all meet at the same place and at the same time. Anj, Ryan, Liz all fit in their perfect ways and I enjoy each of them as they are. Anj thanks for keeping Clint in line, even if you did introduce him to yoga (sickie). We look forward to Tob and Angie adding theirs to the pot in time.

All of my life I have been blessed to have close friends. From Ben and Steve, to Brandon and Curt, to Jon and Derek, to the Postma's and the Sadorus', well the entire neighborhood really, and on and on. I have never been alone or lonely, I don't think I have ever experienced either emotion or state. I apologies to everyone for not listing you name by name, but I couldn't do it justice. But know that I appreciate your influence and friendship more than I can express. We have had some very good times, and in the words of Percy Blackeney "More to come, more to come".

Well enough of that. Is there any question as to what kind of drunk I would be? (You're in my eyes, you're in my dreams...) I am sitting at work, and I think the vials of Dilaudid and Ativan I am carrying in my pocket have begun to seep into my skin, so I will sign off before I really get carried away. Thank you all for a wonderful life, and thank you all for the years to come.

4 comments:

AnJ. said...

This was very touching and tender. We often say to each other how blessed we are to have such good families. We are especially blessed to have parents who raised us the right way. I know a lot of families who have siblings that just can't get along. We are blessed to be friends with all of our siblings.

Thanks for sharing!

Now...as for the yoga. You should try it sometime. It's very powerful. Perhaps I shall ask if we can have a yoga session at the annual Broderick campout? ;)

Mandy said...

Amazing how people touch our lives in ways we never notice until we really sit down and look. Your family has been a big part of my life too. Thanks for always being there! :) You and Amber are awesome.

bluestocking23 said...

As far as little brothers go...you're tops and VERY loved. :) I couldn't agree more with everything you said...especially about Mom and Dad and Ambo. (You're absolutely right about that being your best decision so far!)

In AnJ's defense: you really shouldn't knock yoga until you've tried it. It's incredibly relaxing...and more difficult than you'd think!

DaNae said...

We always like it when one of our own thanks us. You are the best!