Sunday, May 31, 2009

Truman G. Madsen


1926-2009

Most of us, if we are lucky, will have pivotal moments or experiences in our lives that, when we look back, play a defining moment in the process of becoming "us". One such experience occurred to me as a young missionary in Northern California. A friend, Brandon, let me borrow a series of lectures on tape concerning the Prophet Joseph Smith. In so doing he introduced me to a man who would, and still does, inspire me in his unique and genuine way. Amber just likes the sound of his voice. {;-) His name is Truman G. Madsen.

In a lecture he shares an old German proverb that deals with a swine herdsman and his family who took a piglet in to their home as a pet. For days they relived the same experience: the pig is washed, and clothed and fed at the table, but as soon as they turn their backs it is out the door and right back into the wallow. In frustration a family council is called where different ideas are presented, but none seem appropriate. Finally the father has an idea, the pig is brought in, an operation is performed and the pigs heart is replaced with a human heart. Now, not only does the pig stay in the home, but it loves being in the home with the family.

This week Truman passed away and I feel it timely to express my love for the man and his life's work. He helped perform a similar transformation in my heart as I sat at his feet and listened to his testimony. I appreciated his lectures on the Prophet, but it wasn't until I studied his "The Presidents of the Church" lectures that I became completely smitten, I am in deep smit. His lectures went to my core.

This man seems to have had an almost open door to every church president since his grandfather Heber J. Grant. Being a historian, philosopher, and a professor at BYU his life work has carried him all over the world, and even lead to his becoming the director of the BYU Jerusalem Center for New Eastern Studies which gave him many personal experiences with Church leaders and Presidents, and even the then mayor of Jerusalem, Teddy Kollek.

His biography on his website mentions that we may never know how many lives his work touched and I just wanted to acknowledge him and the way he opened my eyes and mind to the men we revere as prophets. I would not have gotten to know these men with out Truman, and for that I am grateful. Thanks to Brandon for turning me on to him and his mastery of our language. "Pseudologia Fantastica"!

2 comments:

bluestocking23 said...

I agree with you 100% and must say that his wife is equally as fabulous. This is a couple who really gets it. I had a similar experience with a talk on tape by Ann Madsen. Dixie Mitchell sent it to me and I can still quote parts of it by heart.

Ann said "Satan seeks to isolate us" and by doing so, gains his victory. I love that this couple have both been so aware of the sides in this battle and valiently chipped away at the right one. Friday was a sad day to me. :( My heart goes out to her!

AnJ. said...

We will miss him too. He was such a powerful writer.

I think Clint listened to the same set of tapes about Joseph Smith and loved them.

Friday was a very sad day.