Tuesday, April 22, 2008

How do you describe life as a student?



For years I have lived happily with jeans from the discount rack, or the twenty dollar specials found in most major department stores. I even cruise to the local DI for work jeans. You tell yourself that you are being a wise or savy shopper, I mean, who would really pay a hundred dollars for a pair of jeans??? But the truth is you really can't afford the one hundred and fifty dollar pair, the one hundred, or even the fifty dollar pair. Not when you have text books to pay for, lab fees, etc.

The other day Ambo announced that she was done living with a husband whose jean selection consisted of two choices, 1) the "classic" tapered jean from Eddie Bauer (my dress jeans) and 2) a pair of "nutters" as I call them, they are the result of an earlier attempt of Ambo to domesticate me. Since then I have gained a few pounds and the jeans haven't grown with me.

So off to the Mall we went and after some minor haggling and compromising we came out with two pairs of real, live, reputable jeans that fit!.!. We went straight home and tossed out the old.

The only problem came a few days later when I slipped a pair on and noticed something didn't feel quite right. After zipping up I stood for a moment and tried to figure out what was wrong. Finally (I am rather slow) it occured to me that they were stiff. Almost like they weren't broken in yet. Almost like the material they were made of was thick enough to warrent some use to wear them down.

This was a revelation to me! I had become accustomed to paper thin denim, and now I had denim of substance! I ventured a shakey guess that as a result of this new quality these jeans might actually last for more than a year.!.!

The next shock came a few minutes later as I walked about the house. These jeans were actually comfortable! I didn't have to suck anything in to get them on and I could sit again! I have long ago given up the act of sitting while wearing my Eddies or Nutters, that was simply out of the question in social settings, and as for private settings it just wasn't couth either.

John and I were sitting in the hall today in between classes talking about how hard it is as a student, being a father and a husband. Impatiently wanting to be able to give your wife and kids everything they need and want but with the realization that we really aren't making any money. We talked about our wives who take such a gamble on us, and who support us as we struggle to make ends meet. How much they sacrifice, and silently cope with the realities of life. How readily they stand with us as we strive to slay the dragons of life. How grateful we truely are that at the end of the day there is a warm, comfortable home to go to, with your best friend waiting to hear about your day. A warm meal to eat, and a soft pillow to lay our heads. And how grateful we are to be married to women who have their eyes on the final goal and who support us despite everything we put them through, and despite the temporary lack of prosperity in our lives.

During our conversation I thought about pants.

So, here is too the discount shopping life of a student, here is to the makers of cheap denim who allow us to stay clothed during those never to be forgotten times, here is to the makers of quality pants (The light at the end of the tunnel)! And espeically, here is to our wives and families who sacrifice to help us accomplish the goals we made. It really is worth all you go through to get to them! At least it will be once you actually graduate!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Addie said...

Oh Jared....don't open this link. This is the same thing that happened to Marge yesterday. AnJ.

AnJ. said...

Now for my real comment. As one who has a degree in fashion, I applaud you for finally ditching the Eddie's. Just say no to tapered jeans. Nutters-let's not go there.
Isn't it interesting how one piece of clothing can make you feel totally different?
I loved this post and want you to know that as wives, we wouldn't have it any other way. We'll do all we can to support you and help you to be successful. It's our job and we do it because we love you. Well, I love Clint but you get the point.

Ambo said...

You had to put the picture of the Eddie's up there didn't you!!
Oh, and Thanks :)

bluestocking23 said...

LOL. There is nothing quite like a proper pair of jeans. When they fit right...they're worth the cost! And yes, you do have it pretty good even when school bites.